Sunday, August 2, 2009

Psalm 34

I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth. 2My soul makes its boast in the Lord; let the humble hear and be glad. 3O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together.
4I sought the Lord, and he answered me, and delivered me from all my fears. 5Look to him, and be radiant; so your* faces shall never be ashamed. 6This poor soul cried, and was heard by the Lord, and was saved from every trouble. 7The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them. 8O taste and see that the Lord is good; happy are those who take refuge in him. 9O fear the Lord, you his holy ones, for those who fear him have no want.

Lord,
The poet wrote, “The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them.” This sounds like a “guardian angel” to me. There are times when I really believe it, when I know that you are looking out for me. There have been moments when I would only attribute my good fortune to your presence and to good gifts from you.
And yet, I had a conversation yesterday that involved a friend who died with cancer. Her last year or more was really tough. She suffered and her family with her. The family is still suffering. So Lord, where is the guardian angel?
I know, you have heard me question and complain and whine about this for a long time and to be honest, I’m not sure that I really expect an answer. The testimony of folk far wiser than I is that we live without knowing the answer to this one. But dog-gone-it Lord, it continues to perplex.
So now, Lord, I am stumbling into what may be the “prayer’s sin”. I have been invited into a moment of joy and gratitude and immediately my mind went to problems and frustrations and the moment of prayer became a season for frustration. Forgive me for not first seeing the wonder and beauty of life and the failure to celebrate the health and salvation and all of the escapes from disaster that you have provided.
Now, Lord, in the absence of words, let me sit for a time in the joy and peace of your presence.
Life really is good and for that, I am very very grateful.
PERSONAL PRAYERS:
In the presence of God, enjoy the blessings that are yours today.
Name 5 things for which you are grateful and say thank you to God.
In Christ’s name,

Amen.

No comments: