Monday, August 10, 2009

Psalm 35

Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me! 2Take hold of shield and buckler, and rise up to help me! 3Draw the spear and javelin against my pursuers;say to my soul, ‘I am your salvation.’

Lord,
With the poet, I really do want you to be on my side and I really do want for you to engage my struggles with me. Why would I pretend otherwise? Why would I want anything other thing?

Lord, never allow me to forget the other side of that holy equation. You have invited me to engage in your struggles. The fundamental vocation of life is to be on your side and to be a part of your mission in this world.

So, how am I to know that I am on your side? Two things come to mind. (1) Jesus commanded us in several ways to love you with all of our being and to love our neighbors as ourselves. If love is the dominant characteristic of what I think and do, there is a pretty good chance that I am on your side. (2) Last week I heard Bill Tillman say that the Spirit is the ethicist of the Trinity. I think that it is true and I believe that your Spirit will lead me into the way that you want me to go.

It sounds like a holy covenant. You are on my side and invite me to be on your side and in that holy relationship; you engage the struggles of life with me. I believe that to be true.

With the poet I pray, “Say to my soul, ‘I am your salvation.’” Allow me, O God, to hear those words and to experience that reality at the very center of my being.

PERSONAL PRAYERS:
Ask God for a fresh awareness of the salvation that God grants to us through his presence and through the witness of Jesus.
Name 5 things for which you are grateful and say “thank you” to God.
In the Christ’s name,
Amen.

No comments: